Did you know you can cook frozen French fries on the Blackstone griddle? They’re simple and quick to cook, use less oil than traditional frying, and offer a crunchy texture our family loves.
We always keep a bag of frozen French fries in our freezer because they’re super convenient and easy to whip up whenever you need a quick side dish for dinner.
Fries go perfectly with smash burgers, cheesesteaks, or pulled pork sandwiches, but it’s a pain when you’re cooking your main meal in the backyard and have to run into the kitchen to prepare the side dish.
You can make French fries in a Blackstone air fryer if you have one, but I have the Blackstone 36 inch griddle without an air fryer so I had to get creative to cook my fries alongside my burgers.
It turns out that frozen French fries on the Blackstone are delicious! Plus, they’re a little healthier than deep fried potatoes because you only use a need a few tablespoons of oil.
Blackstone French Fries
Blackstone French fries are super simple and require only 3 ingredients:
- Frozen French Fries. You can use any brand or shape you prefer and cooking time will vary based on size. Skinny shoestring fries will cook quicker than chunky steak fries.
- Cooking oil. Again, use whatever kind of oil you prefer. Canola oil, avocado oil, peanut oil, etc.
- Seasoning. I like to keep it simple with just a sprinkling of kosher salt, but other options include Old Bay Seasoning or Lawry’s French Fry Seasoning.
Start by preheating your griddle to medium, aim for a temperature of about 350 F to 400 F.
Add a few tablespoons of cooking oil to the griddle to create a pool of oil. Then add a handful of fries and spread them out so they are all in contact with the cooking surface. You might need to add a little more oil as they cook to make sure they’re all in the oil.
Let them shallow fry in the oil for a few minutes and then flip them to cook the other sides. You need to watch them carefully because they can go from undercooked to burnt in an instant.
Continue flipping until they are fully cooked. It’s always smart to remove one fry and taste it to be sure it’s ready, then you can remove them all from the griddle. Place on a dish lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Sprinkle with kosher salt and serve.
How To Dress Up Your Frozen French Fries
You can’t go wrong with basics like a sprinkle of salt and some ketchup to dip your fries in, but there are so many other ways to take those fries up a notch or two.
Serving fries with seafood? Try sprinkling them with some Old Bay Seasoning.
Tiffany from Parsnips and Pastries loves New Jersey diner-style disco fries. I’m from NJ too and I’ve had my share of late night disco fries at one of the state’s 24-hour diners. Smothered in a savory brown gravy and gooey cheese, disco fries are amazing.
Jaren from Diary of a Recipe Collector has a delicious copycat recipe for The Outback’s Aussie Cheese Fries. If you’ve ever tried them at The Outback you’ll know they are a guilty pleasure.
Ashlyn from Belle of the Kitchen makes chili cheese fries that makes my mouth drool just reading the recipe.
Rachel of Modern Farmhouse Eats has a recipe for garlic parmesan fries that go perfectly with a grilled steak.
Frozen French Fries On The Blackstone Griddle
These Blackstone French fries are a perfect side dish for any barbecue. Pair them with burgers, hot dogs, or pulled pork sandwiches. Or just cook some Frozen fries on the Blackstone for a snack.
- 16 ounces Frozen French Fries
- 3 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat your griddle for about 10 minutes at medium heat (around 350 F to 400 F)
- Pour the oil onto the griddle, creating a pool to hold the fries
- Add the fries in a single layer and add additional oil if needed to ensure they are all sitting in the oil
- Let cook for 2 to 3 minutes, then flip repeatedly until all sides are cooked evenly
- Once golden brown and crispy, remove fries from the griddle
- Sprinkle with kosher salt and serve warm
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 272Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 525mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 2gSugar: 0gProtein: 3g